Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2012

Snow!

While Katie is away this weekend in Paris, I was keeping Federbaer company back in Zurich (comforting him after the lost final in Basel) when I found out on the Friday what the forecast was...0 degrees and snow!

I had already lined up some cold-weather clothes shopping for Saturday and a walk for Sunday, and lo and behold, while walking around on the Saturday some flakes started to appear. I wouldn't have called it snow at that stage though; nothing was staying on the ground, and it fell more like...light rain. As the sun set however, the flakes got slightly bigger. You can see on the left, the roof is still brown, but the fall itself was definitely visible.

So I fell asleep that night, with a Christmas-like hope that I'd get a picturesque present out the window the next morning (Oh, and an extra hour sleep. Although I think I have an increased hatred for DST now that I work on a calendaring system...). Thankfully, Zurich delivered, as overnight the snow had continued, and now it covered the ground and was still coating everything with white. The same view out the window was now:
I didn't bring my proper camera on the day's trip later (not sure how well it'd survive being snowed on. Federbaer stayed at home citing the same reason...), but managed to take this collection on my phone:





People often say, when hearing that I came from Australia, that Sydney has great weather. In reality, I'm a huge fan of cold weather, where you can explore with a coat, beanie, scarf, gloves, boots, ... so I look forwards to sharing more of these shots over the winter!
In other less exciting-weather news, we also managed to stretch out for a tame hike down the side of Lake Zurich last weekend to the Au Halbinsel*, which should be covered soon, stay tuned.
(*German word for the day: Halbinsel = 'half-island', quite close to paene insula = peninsula. Latin actually coming in useful...)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen